Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyboard tries to go to sleep every 5 minutes on USB

I don't normally sit here and watch the keyboard when it's plugged in, as I primarily use it on bluetooth on a tablet.  However this morning it's charging and I've been watching it blink every 5 minutes.  It looks like it's trying to go to sleep every 5 minutes, which resets on the USB bus, interrupts my typing on my other keyboard, etc. 

I've never noticed this before so don't know if it's just coincidence or something goofy going on.

Here's the recent times that it reset on the USB bus.  Note they're all exactly 5 minutes apart:

09:11:30 09:16:31 09:21:32 09:26:33 09:26:34 09:31:35 09:36:36 09:41:37 09:46:38 09:46:39 09:55:44 10:00:52 10:00:53 10:05:53 10:05:54 10:10:55 10:15:56 10:23:42 10:28:43 10:28:44 10:33:45 10:38:46 

Anyone else seen this?

Yep, it doesn't happen right after a boot, but when it starts it doesn't stop until I run Apex software. I think the first time the Keyboard tries to sleep in BT mode it goes into a weird sleep/wake loop every 5 mins whether the keyboard is in use during the time or not.

(08-02-2020, 06:24 PM)MadduckUK Wrote: Yep, it doesn't happen right after a boot, but when it starts it doesn't stop until I run Apex software. I think the first time the Keyboard tries to sleep in BT mode it goes into a weird sleep/wake loop every 5 mins whether the keyboard is in use during the time or not.

Yeah I think it's some specific circumstance, not sure..  Either way, pretty annoying.  every time it happened it killed USB input for a split second and I was playing a game and every 5 minutes "oh, you were running from death?  Now you're not!"

Seriously though, Wade, is this something known?  I'm not sure what info I could get besides attempt to reproduce it.  I had ran the battery almost dead (first time, actually), turned it off, plugged in USB, left it overnight.  Seemed okay overnight, according to logs, but randomly at 9am (no idea what would have triggered it.. maybe me using the computer?  Which is on 24/7) it started resetting every 5 minutes on the dot until I unplugged it.  On/Off switch was Off, for giggles I did turn it to On, didn't make any difference, back off, still kept resetting every 5 minutes.

Reset = Keyboard reconnect to USB, reboot, something.  No settings lost or anything.

(08-02-2020, 10:02 PM)khaytsus Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 06:24 PM)MadduckUK Wrote: Yep, it doesn't happen right after a boot, but when it starts it doesn't stop until I run Apex software. I think the first time the Keyboard tries to sleep in BT mode it goes into a weird sleep/wake loop every 5 mins whether the keyboard is in use during the time or not.

Yeah I think it's some specific circumstance, not sure..  Either way, pretty annoying.  every time it happened it killed USB input for a split second and I was playing a game and every 5 minutes "oh, you were running from death?  Now you're not!"

Seriously though, Wade, is this something known?  I'm not sure what info I could get besides attempt to reproduce it.  I had ran the battery almost dead (first time, actually), turned it off, plugged in USB, left it overnight.  Seemed okay overnight, according to logs, but randomly at 9am (no idea what would have triggered it.. maybe me using the computer?  Which is on 24/7) it started resetting every 5 minutes on the dot until I unplugged it.  On/Off switch was Off, for giggles I did turn it to On, didn't make any difference, back off, still kept resetting every 5 minutes.

Reset = Keyboard reconnect to USB, reboot, something.  No settings lost or anything.
I haven't heard other users have this problem, can you tell me your current firmware version? And your computer system and the model of the USB interface.

(08-03-2020, 09:55 AM)wade Wrote:

I haven't heard other users have this problem, can you tell me your current firmware version? And your computer system and the model of the USB interface.

Keyboard firmware is 1043 (original version with 3 hole PCB), computer is a self-built with an Asus X99 Deluxe II motherboard running Linux.  Not sure what to say about the USB interface, it's just one of the USB 2 ports on the machine, same one I've used since day one.

I'm going to watch to see if this happens all the time and I've just never noticed it or if I can come up with some sort of scenario.

I've had it plugged in all day here and not a single reset. I don't know if it's just random that it happens or happened because the battery was very low or what, I'll keep messing around and see if I can reproduce it.

Currently on FW: 9047 but this has been happening with earlier firmware as well. I have tried pretty much every FW posted on this forum in the hope it will have a fix, but the issue has been identical since the original firmware. 16 digit serial number Snowfox with 3 hole the same as khaytsus .  System is built on an MSI B450M Mortar motherboard and I have tried on both its USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports.

Let me know if you need any more info, i enjoy a bit of troubleshooting.

(08-03-2020, 06:54 PM)khaytsus Wrote: I've had it plugged in all day here and not a single reset.  I don't know if it's just random that it happens or happened because the battery was very low or what, I'll keep messing around and see if I can reproduce it.

Some days it just doesn't happen, or doesn't happen until late evening. I keep mine plugged in most of the time so I am pretty sure, at least in my case that it isn't low battery related. 

I have to agree though it feels extremely random right now.

It helped me when I toggled the sleep mode to off for my hardware profile. I also leave the ON/OFF switch on off for good measure.
I've had no issues since.
Snowfox Sound Test

Team Snowfox!

(08-03-2020, 07:51 PM)MadduckUK Wrote:

Currently on FW: 9047 but this has been happening with earlier firmware as well. I have tried pretty much every FW posted on this forum in the hope it will have a fix, but the issue has been identical since the original firmware. 16 digit serial number Snowfox with 3 hole the same as khaytsus .  System is built on an MSI B450M Mortar motherboard and I have tried on both its USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports.

Let me know if you need any more info, i enjoy a bit of troubleshooting.

(08-03-2020, 06:54 PM)khaytsus Wrote: I've had it plugged in all day here and not a single reset.  I don't know if it's just random that it happens or happened because the battery was very low or what, I'll keep messing around and see if I can reproduce it.

Some days it just doesn't happen, or doesn't happen until late evening. I keep mine plugged in most of the time so I am pretty sure, at least in my case that it isn't low battery related. 

I have to agree though it feels extremely random right now.
So you entered sleep mode without using the keyboard for 5 minutes?
If so, you can turn off the sleep mode in the software.

(08-04-2020, 01:55 AM)wade Wrote: So you entered sleep mode without using the keyboard for 5 minutes?
If so, you can turn off the sleep mode in the software.

Wade, I could try that but don't really want to disable that when I'm using the keyboard bluetooth in case I forget to turn it off for a while.  It doesn't happen all the time, in fact I wasn't able to reproduce it happening yesterday but the day before it appeared to try to go to sleep every 5 minutes. Again, this was with the keyboard plugged in USB, using it on USB.